Friday, March 31, 2017

gOInG ThRoUgH SoMeThInG?

Good morning, Blogosphere.

If I asked you if you ever went through something, you would probably quickly answer "Yes". Some may even add "a lot". There could even be a select that would add "too much". Ladies and gentlemen, those may be correct but I am posting this with the thought that we don't understand the term "going through" the way we have become familiar with using it. I intend to challenge that just a little. How do you go through something standing still and never changing or evolving. Repeating the same patterns over and over and thinking everything else will change but us? That sounds "crazy".

I got a hold of Psalms 18:2 today. It was my daily verse and it, like the Word normally does, took me to a place a lot different than how it is normally used in common Christian circles. First, let's read the verse but let me clear on one thing beforehand: It doesn't matter where you are in your life or faith or maturity level, this is for you. Promise.

"The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower."

I know quite a few that quote this verse for varied reasons. David, in this specific context, was hiding from someone he thought cared about and loved him. Someone he thought was a friend but in fact, because of jealousy, pride, and a refusal to obey God, he was a bitter and very dangerous enemy. Everywhere he went, he ran the risk of someone seeing him and reporting his whereabouts to the current King by the name of Saul. David was earmarked to take Saul's job by the way so that didn't help their relationship issues. When David says "my fortress, my deliverer", he's saying God is my protection from the people that want to kill him. My concern is that we trivialize what the Word of God is saying and reduce it to catchphrases. We not only nullify its ability to be powerful and effective in our own lives but also in the lives of the people who watch us because we have touted ourselves to be "believers". However, our lifestyles produce questions and doubt in the minds of those that don't believe. To me, that's a problem that I am daily concerned about.

When David says "my rock, my strength", he is speaking about the firmness of a relationship with the Creator and His immutability, or his steadfast, unchanging character. David has seen this character in close proximity. How? Because he has gone through trouble and had no other options.

Do you know anyone who has trouble but have taken no steps to get out of it because they enjoy drama? Or someone who routinely makes bad choices despite the warning signs? There are some that experience trouble simply because they endeavor to live their lives dedicated to the Lord. The book of Job in the Old Testament of the Bible is a great example of that if you want your mind blown.

(2 Timothy 3:12 KJV) "Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."

That sounds like trouble to me! David actually could have avoided the hailstorm of drama on his life if he just declined to obey God's instructions and decide that being a sheepherder was better than obeying the Lord and becoming a king. Then everyone (except his family) would like him and he wouldn't have to run from town to town in fear of his life.

See, we can avoid trouble. Walking down a dark street at night is an invitation for trouble because it's inherently clear that this is unsafe and doing it could cause grave consequences. Marrying a spouse that is historically a cheater and a liar and has never departed from that lifestyle is inherent unwise also. We don't know real trouble until we decide to chase after our God-given purpose. Then you will find that all hell can literally break loose in your life. It's not permanent. It's not forever. But it is real. David was a great example of the truth that there is no retreat or safe haven from our purpose in life. When we are born to do a thing, it is literally inescapable, indisputable, and it's not going anywhere as long as you're still breathing. It is part of the essence of who we are and it SHOULD be something that we want to see fulfilled whether we face spiritual, financial, emotional, or physical troubles or not.

So before we tell everybody on Facebook about how much trouble we have in our lives, it could be good for us to consider some of the above. Somebody didn't post it or share it or tweet about it but they have troubles that we couldn't imagine. And isn't because they are bad parents, or make poor choices with their health, or even because they have unhealthy associations. It could just be that they're on a trajectory to walking into something greater than themselves and the fulfillment of their purpose in life.

Trouble can test our faith or reveal just how little we do have.


Thank you for reading. Please find more of my posts at: http://mirrortimewithmistayu.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

MiRRor TimE WiTh MisTAyu - InTrO

Hi, I wanted to formally introduce myself to you in this medium. I'm Yusef. My friends call me everything from "Yu" to "...